Thursday, February 17, 2011

New Cookbook, New Recipe!

Good news...it's that time of the week! Time to feed the hungry with something new, healthy and delicious. To my faithful readers, I'm sorry my posts have been a little late, I've been caught up with finishing some graduate school projects which have required my attention (or no degree!) lately...

Get this...
Lucky for me, this week's recipe post has been made easy...I celebrated my birthday about a week ago, and Laurelin got me a new toy, the UltraMetabolism Cookbook!  A quick flip through the book looked very promising, and I'm looking forward to trying a bunch of these recipes, which are all compliant with the UltraMetabolism eating parameters...

About a week ago before a concert, I had a bowl of spicy black bean soup at a local restaurant, and I was immediately hooked...I've been eating beans for a while now, but this was a great, fresh-tasting spin on the fiber-rich carbs which I've been eating.  I found a recipe in this cookbook which looks very similar, and I wanted to share it with you all.

Enjoy!

SPICY BLACK BEAN SOUP


(makes 4 servings)

2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tsp. minced garlic
4 cups cooked black beans
2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
2 tsp. minced jalapeño pepper
2 tbsp. molasses
2 tsp. minced oregano
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp. fresh minced cilantro
2 tsp. fresh lime juice

Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a large Dutch over or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, until softened. Stir in the beans, broth, tomatoes, red pepper, jalapeño pepper, molasses, oregano, cumin, coriander, salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 30 minutes, until the vegetables are soft. Stir in the cilantro and lime juice.


Enjoy this recipe! I'll look forward to sharing some more of these as I try them...

Thanks for reading!

- Dan -

No comments:

Post a Comment